Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Does anyone care


Life is a series of events. A series of places. Most of all a series of people. Masses of people pass through our life. Most for just an instant. Some for awhile. A select few stay. Out of the handful who become permanent fixtures there are only one or two that become our rocks, our foundation.

The rocks of our lives are strong. The rocks are sturdy and dependable. The rocks are not always there in person but they are always available emotionally. In the middle of the day, when you need an ear to listen, they put down whatever they are doing for you. If you need a shoulder to lean on they are never too busy. When you call some friends you may hear, "I am up to my neck can I call you back?", this is what separates foundation friends from plain friends.

In my life, my Mom and Dad were my first rocks and I thought my last. They were first and foremost parents. There was nothing in their lives more important than their children. It didn't matter what they were doing, they had time for me and my brothers.

It's been seven years since my parents left us. In those seven years I have grown to realize they are a hard couple to replace. Sure I have a wife who listens but she works a lot. Sure I have kids who listen for the split second before their head again disappears into the refrigerator. I even have brothers, five, who answer when I call but we speak so infrequent I hate to burden them for fear their problems are bigger than mine.

I have had lots of plain friends in those seven years, none close enough to lean on either literally or emotionally except one.

We first met on the back porch of a condo across town. I was with my wife and three of my boys. They were instantly drawn to his brother. My friend's brother was bigger stronger and more out going. My friend was the little brother and a little shy. I liked him right off. While my sons fawned over his sibling I quietly got to know my friend. We could relate. I am the fourth of six sons with brothers much bigger physically than me. I knew what he had went through I too spent a good deal of omy childhood in the shadows.

My wife wanted to bring my friend's brother home right away. She saw the way the kids lit up around him. I was sitting back trying to decide if a father should let the family have their way when fate intervened.

The big brother pooped all over my sons and wife. You wouldn't think a three pound Boxer puppy could make such a mess. It was at this moment my friend became family. We took him home and named him Maximus after the Gladiator Russell Crowe made famous.

The little two pounder, who could fit in my hand, was so cute. He immediately charmed the family.

James, the youngest, became his charge. When ever James was home he was at his side. James feeds him and waters him and in return Max looks over him with a protective eye. It was so funny to watch the miniature puppy bark at anything that came close to James. Now it is scary to think what the 85 pound Maximus would do to anyone trying to harm his boy or his brothers.

James and Max are close, like little boys and dogs should be, but James, like Jackie Paper, is not always around. Our large family is always coming and going. Maximus seems to understand my wife and sons are busy and he is always glad when they are home again. I not so much. I do my business from home and Max has grown used to me being here. I get no joyous celebration when I walk from my office to the living room. That's okay. Max and I understand.

We are the home bound members of the family. We lean on each other. Maximus is my rock. I hope I am his. I feed him when James is at school. I let him out when he wants or needs the outdoors. In return, he keeps salesman from dallying around our door when I have work to do. It's remarkable how short a sales pitch can be while Max lunges at the glass storm door testing its latches strength.

He not only puts fear in the hearts of door to door time wasters he also listens. He is never to busy to lay at my feet and here my fears and worries. When I am lonely he is here to remind me I have a friend, a rock, a foundation.

He may not be as nurturing as Mom, he may not be as protective as Dad but I am no longer in need of those things.

All I want now is a furry ear to listen and big brown eyes to understand.

All I need, when the world seems scary, is to know someone cares.

No comments: