Tuesday, January 29, 2008

people ask me why

In my frequent trips on the information highway I am often asked - why do you live in Glasgow, KY? The way it is phrased the question is kin to - why are you an idiot?

The answer is - I was duped.

Living most of my life outside the Bible Belt and square in a "blue state" I didn't know the right questions to ask before settling on my adopted community. I didn't realize prohibition had been repealed everywhere but Glasgow. I didn't realize there were still communities that banned such underground publications as Playboy and Penthouse. I didn't know I should of inquired if the town had an outlet that sells massage oils and the like.

I assumed and it was my mistake but it was also my luck. Glasgow is a fine town and the sins of wayward magazines and oily skin can be obtained just a few miles away in Horse Cave ( No, I didn't make that up! ) and by the grace of a town vote I will soon be able to, pour cold beer down my throat, while eating hot chicken wings in a local restaurant.

We still can't buy liquor, wine or beer retail but I own a car and Bowling Green needs my money too.

If you put aside those sinful indulgences you are left with a very nice town. It has top schools and believe it or not, shoes are required. I don't know of a single citizen that is married to his sister. We do smoke a lot compared to the rest of the country but that is our right as a tobacco state. I am thankful it is an option and restaurants have sections for the few of us that refrain from lung cancer.

So you see, I moved to Glasgow because I was ignorant of the city rules.

But to answer your question - I live in Glasgow because it has the most important thing I look for in a town.

Friendly people who don't ask rude questions.

No comments: