Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Colton's Restaurant

Tell me why do I continue to try and eat at our new local restaurant? At first they had lots of help and friendly people. Then school started and they lost half there staff. (like most) We would try to go on Prime Rib nights and at 6pm we were told they didn't have any Medium rare. The manager would come to the table and basically blame us for waiting sooo late to eat. Oh I get it., it was our fault. So after striking out 3 times we no longer ask for our favorite meal. They specialize in steak so we thought we would try our steaks medium rare. To our surprise each and every time they were WELL done. The manager refused to come out and talk to us. He (little old man lurking in the corner) sent the waitress over to apologize and we would leave hungry. We finally found something that they could cook correct. Our son always got the sirloin tips and he also liked them medium rare. I began ordering them and was very happy. I can't eat a lot and this was the perfect size and only 1 side item I always left full but not uncomfortable. We were happy for about a month. We found our selves with our 3 oldest at work and that only left my husband my youngest son and myself so we (against my son's choice) decided to go to Colton's for sirloin tips. We entered and with our minor son of 12 yrs old were sat in the bar! We felt uncomfortable but didn't make a fuss. We saw the table tent for Wings and got excited we love wings. The server came over and we ordered wings and drinks. She came back and said they were out of wings! what ? it was only 5pm on a Tuesday. Again not making a fuss just ordered the trail potatoes. We tried to order the sirloin tips and was told that I wasn't allowed to order them because they weren't making any money on them. Ok so now I'm a bit upset so I told her that I wouldn't be ordering. The family wanted to leave and go to Taco Bell but I said no we already ordered. I told the server to let the manager know that tonight would be our last visit. She said she would speak with the manager and see if he would let her order the sirloin tips for me. I didn't respond I was just annoyed. No wings , No Prime Rib, can't cook a medium rare steak and now no sirloin tips. Please tell me why do we go there? another server recognized us because as previously stated we go there often (ever since we had the tips we would go about once a week). She told us that the manager told them that they were told they make no money on the kids meals and that they do that so that families would eat there. But they have cameras all over and they would loose their job if caught. She stated that she couldn't afford that but also said she has had several of her customers stop coming because of this decision. So I'm looking over our bill (mind you I didn't eat) at it was $32 just for my son and husband. Over $6 alone for drinks I only had 2 sips out of my drink and she brought a refill. (hint save the money by NOT bringing a drink until almost finished the first one) I never finished the first and certainly didn't touch the second. Looking at the kids sirloin tips that my son had there was only about 3oz of tips and a huge plateful of fries (hint save the money on fries and only give half the amount) my son never finished a third of the fries. Ok I'm a kitchen manager with over 25yrs experience I recently priced out a 8oz steak with baked potato and salad and at retail it would cost $3.50 so to be told at $4.99 and no salad and only about 3oz of steak that they don't make any money that's crap! that meal should only cost $2 bucks at the most. (retail of course) So in the long run they will now loose about $50 a week just from us. The manager never came over and the server never mentioned a conversation with her boss. The money they made on me was 3 potatoes turned into trail potatoes at a cost of .38cents per potato and barely any cheese and bacon I'll be generous and say the retail cost was $1.50 and they charge $6.99. So yes they make money on every meal ! but unfortunatly we watched in horor this what started out to be a good fit for glasgow and our family turn into yet another inconsistent poorly managed restaurant. We really wanted them to succeed so much so that my spouse wrote them once before letting them know our family of 6 had dined and spent close to $150 bucks and only 1 meal was correct. Only looking for an appology and the hopes of correcting the problems. They sent us a letter with 1 sentence stating they were sorry we had a bad experience. Not signed and not sincere. Crazy way to do business. It's a shame because I'm sure they spent a lot of money remodeling this building only to chase away customers. I guess we will continue to drive to Bowling Green. At least at Logans if something is wrong they fix it! they don't blame the guest or the help. And they don't have the employee's make up excuses for their failures.

No comments: