Monday, July 12, 2010

Chaney's Dairy Barn

On Saturday I finally followed the signs from Bowling Green to Chaney's Dairy Barn.

Chaney's is about 5 miles south of Exit 4 from the Natcher Parkway. Just follow 31W till you see a big red barn on the right with batting cages next to it.

Chaney's at first glance reminded me of the home dairy's though out New England who sell home made ice cream. I was surprised there wasn't a walk up window or 12 like you will find at many New England dairies like Kimballs in Carlisle , MA.

I walked inside and found a line about 10 deep. I don't know if this is normal because it looked like a girls softball team was there.

The service was fast but I wouldn't say friendly. The kids working the counter were robotic and didn't speak unless absolutely necessary.

My wife ordered a waffle cone with two scoops of mint chocolate chip. The scoops were large and the cone was freshly made.

I ordered a sundae with mint chocolate chip and hot fudge. I also agreed to whip cream when asked.

Important;

If you ever go to Chaney's Dairy Barn, do NOT order the sundae. In my opinion there was not enough hot fudge to make it worth the price and the whipped cream was warm and runny.

There was not a teaspoon of fudge on my sundae, so if I were you, I would order a waffle cone or a cup of ice cream at Chaney's.

Chaney's also has a menu of sandwiches but we didn't test any of them. There is also a small over priced gift store featuring Kentucky Proud items.

I would be a lot more PROUD if every time I saw one of those labels it wasn't for twice the price.

Summary;

  • waffle cone very good.
  • ice cream good
  • sundae not worth the price
  • service comparable to any fast food restaurant
Overall I was disappointed but that is because I was expecting something like I had seen in New England.

Without expectations it was fine and worth the drive IF you are in Bowling Green.

No comments: